AA Live Chat: Listkeeper's Blog

One member's perspective on Alcoholics Anonymous

Monday, February 14, 2005

Seen On The Web

Minty Fresh: Some people drink deeply from the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
-Windspirit, The Recovery AA Coffeehouse
http://groups.msn.com/TheRecoveryAACoffeeHouse/
hearedatmeeting.msnw


Turning Point: I'm approaching 8 years sobriety, by the grace of God. But around ten years prior to that I was in a pub at Newtown with a work colleague and we were both very drunk. Now he tells me that I'm an alcoholic and we both then burst into laughter.

But the next day instead of a blackout I remember everything. Most strange. I then start to hear ads on the radio, "If you have a problem with alcohol, etc." I hear colleagues saying whatever you do don't go drinking with him, he'll get you thrown out of the club/pub, borrow money and forget to pay it back and hit on your girlfriend, etc.

The realization that he was in fact me was startling.

It was the combination of these things and others that led me to show them they were wrong and stop drinking for a month. I lasted 3 days and they were terrible. But after that and for quite a few years I kept trying and failed. Always I failed until it dawned on me one day that I was not my own master.

Alcohol controlled me.

I then went to St. John of God, and here I stand almost 8 years later, not only sober but I believe recovered.

What I'm trying to say is, did my spiritual growth start that day in the pub at Newtown?
-James, Alkie's Soapbox
(http://www.alkies-soapbox.org)

Fixer Upper: When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
-Windspirit, The Recovery AA Coffeehouse
http://groups.msn.com/TheRecoveryAACoffeeHouse/
hearedatmeeting.msnw

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home