AA Live Chat: Listkeeper's Blog

One member's perspective on Alcoholics Anonymous

Monday, December 06, 2004

Seen On The Web

*Overheard at the meeting today: "There are no big shots or little shots in AA. One shot and we are all shot."
-Scottish John, Alkie's Soapbox (http://www.alkies-soapbox.org)

*Slippery Slope: When I first got into the program, an old-timer once told me people don't "slip" -- they subconsciously plan to take a drink weeks before they ever lift that glass. Taking the drink is simply the culmination of their slow withdrawal from the program over a time.

I know that for me the phrase above fits my actions to a tee. I could feel myself plan to take that drink. I would be smugly happy with myself that I was remaining "sober" -- but physically sober was about all I was. I was waiting and waiting for that opportunity to "slip."

To maintain my sobriety for good, I need to find a way to come to peace with my bouts of craving and I need to control my internal sabotage. I hope through the support of AA and groups like this I can find an inner peace that allows me to ride out times when I feel my obsession with alcohol take hold.
-Holly, AALiveChat on AOL
(http://groups.aol.com/), keyword "aalivechat"

*Defects/Shortcomings/Wrongs: These three terms are used interchangeably in our basic text because they mean the same thing. These are all things that we engage in that push God out of our lives.

When I engage in any of the classic defects I don't allow the sunlight of the Spirit to enter into my life. If I am envious of someone else I miss out on what God can grant me. If I am dishonest I cheat myself of God's grace. Any of these things serves to separate me from God.

Since God's will for me is to be happy, joyous and free I'd miss out on that too. Each day is the day I need to say to myself "His will, not mine - what would He have me do today?"
-Jim, "Defective Alcoholic"
http://groups.yahoo.com, keyphrase, "AA Beginners By The Book"

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home